Thursday, August 30, 2012

The GOP Convention (Day Dos)

Onto the highlights:

Former Secretary of State, Condi Rice:


Governor or New Mexico, Susana Martinez:


Congressman  and VP nominee, Paul Ryan :


Game Notes:
  • Pawlenty, Huckabee, and McCain were all sub-meh.  I just didn't find a single one appealing. 
  • Conversely, the women above were transcendent.  As with the Olympics, the women emerge as our heroes.  I didn't even know who Susana Martinez was.  Five minutes into her speech and I can't forget her.
  • Chris Matthews continues to masterfully wield his secret power of RACISM FINGER
  • Matthews went full retard with this line of questioning.  Chris and I went to the same high school.  His display is not representative of the values preached.
  • Dean gets best tweet: "If there is one take-away from the 1st two nights of the #RNC, it's we've got a deep bench.  A damn deep bench."
  • Whomever scheduled the speaking order needs to be promoted.  Condi brought the house down.  I was expecting a bit of a lull with the next speaker, but in hindsight the night wasn't even close to reaching the top of its arc. 
  • Paul Ryan: "College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life."  From 21-23 I was active duty for the USAF, I was a student at PSU from ages 23-27, and didn't land a real job until I was 29.  My 20s were spent mostly working below minimum wage, studying, and being deployed.  All the while, my friends had real jobs and were spending weekends down the Jersey shore, traveling to Europe, meeting their wives, etc.  Tough to watch others' progress.  So to say Ryan's quote resonated with me is a bit of an understatement.  I can only imagine how the graduates that are experiencing this scenario first hand must feel.
  • Paul Ryan gets MVP of day 2.  It was damned close, though.
  • The MSM's reaction to Paul Ryan's speech:


Next Topic: Holy S--t Football
And so PSU begins a new era.  Names on jerseys, new head coach, etc.  Going to be an interesting, if not sad few years.  Still, I always love that feeling on Saturday mornings that I get to see my boys play. 

One flame of hope I keep is that people are still fighting the NCAA's horrid sanctions as well as the PSU BOT's actions.  For all relevant and learned coverage, please head over to The Nittany Turkey.  Update: heh.

Games to watch:
  1. Notre Dame vs. Navy.  Because my Notre Dame hate needs to be unleashed.
  2. 'Bama vs. Michigan.  Because the Big 10 needs a win to re-establish legitimacy.  I don't see it happening, as Denard just isn't that good.

No comments: