Monday, April 8, 2013

The Drone Wars (update)

From my previous post:

"A very comprehensive outline of the events leading to the attack on 9/11 was written by Steven Coll, entitled Ghost Wars. Good read.  Anyhoo, one of the events that stuck with me was Coll's description of how Clinton directed the CIA as opposed to his predecessors.  Mainly, Clinton relied on more remote means for operations, as Bush and Reagan took a more hands-on approach.

I guess the point I am trying to make here is that I pray Obama is not making the same mistake*.  Having people in the field still has its advantages over a more sterile approach, i.e. drones."

Some forward thinking person went ahead and designed clothes that would mask a person's IR signature (h/t Lawfare), rendering them invisible to a drone.  Besides spoofing, this is a very large weakness in drone technology.  While I do realize your average terrorist has no access to the materials necessary to fabricate this kind of outerwear, one should never underestimate the enemy's resourcefulness.   

Interesting note: we have drones called "Predators".  Masking one's IR output can make one harder to locate.  This:



No comments: