Wednesday, August 28, 2013

50 Years Ago


Freedom and equality for all.  Unity.  Hard work.  Personal responsibility and making the right decisions.

Transcendent stuff.

Honestly, I think MLK would be proud of the gains blacks have made these past 50 years.  I think he would be proud of Obama, to a certain degree.  Hell, I think he would have voted for him, if not for the reason that McCain was such a lousy candidate.

But I also think he would be a little sad.  The race pimps have the loudest voice these days, and people like Thomas Sowell, Dr. Ben Carson, etc. are marginalized for having the wrong value set.  I think he would be a little disappointed that his words are continually perverted as justification for a handout or special treatment; this is the exact opposite of what he was trying to say in the above video.

Still, I think he would be happy with the progress.  I believe he understood America, and knew the struggle would continue many decades after this speech.

One last thought-I cannot think of one speech delivered at such a perfect time and place with a flawless delivery.  Churchill, Kennedy, Reagan; FDR; they all have moments within their speeches that stand eternal.  From start to finish this speech stands above all.

Now tear down that awful statue and replace it with something fitting the stature of a great American.

No comments: